The Ohio State University Board of Trustees approves Resolutions in Memoriam to commemorate the service of emeritus faculty members upon their passing.
Requesting a Resolution in Memoriam
Resolutions in Memoriam are reviewed and approved at the quarterly meetings of the University Board of Trustees. These resolutions are intended to honor the longtime service and dedication of deceased Ohio State emeritus faculty members.
Any member of the Ohio State community may submit a Resolution in Memoriam request to the Office of the Board of Trustees. Please note that the faculty member must have been approved by the Board for emeritus status (e.g., Professor Emeritus, Associate/Assistant Professor Emeritus, Dean Emeritus, etc.) prior to their passing.
Please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- A draft Resolution in Memoriam for consideration (details below)
- Full name of the deceased emeritus faculty member
- Their emeritus title and college/department
- Their date of birth
- A link to their obituary (if available)
- Names/addresses for their closest living relatives or loved ones, who will receive copies of the certified resolution
We accept these requests and share them with the Board for review and approval on a rolling basis, so there are no deadlines for submission.
Resolution Sample and Requirements
Should you choose to submit a Resolution in Memoriam for consideration, please use this sample as a template. The ideal Resolution in Memoriam will:
- Use the same first and last paragraphs as the template, but with specific details about the faculty member
- Include general biographical information about the faculty member
- Include specific details about the faculty member's contributions to the university, their field, their students, etc.
- Be a total of 400 to 600 words
After the Board approves a Resolution in Memoriam, copies of the certified resolution are distributed to the closest living relatives or loved ones whose addresses were provided to the the Office of the Board of Trustees. The resolutions are also recorded in the official meeting minutes of the Board and in University Archives for posterity.
Please contact the Office of the Board of Trustees (email@example.com) with questions or if you would like to request special accommodations.