(A) Chief of staff.
The chief of staff shall:
(1) Serve on those committees of the Ohio state university Wexner medical center board as appointed by the chairperson of that board.
(2) Serve as vice chairperson of the medical staff administrative committee.
(3) Provide for communication between the medical staff and the Ohio state university Wexner medical center board in matters of quality of care, education, and research.
(4) Serve as liaison between the Ohio state university hospitals administration, medical administration, and the medical staff in all matters of mutual concern within the Ohio state university hospitals. In consultation with the medical directors and the chief medical officer, seek to ensure that the medical staff is represented and participates as appropriate in any Ohio state university hospitals deliberation which affects the discharge of medical staff responsibilities.
(5) Call, preside, and be responsible for the agenda of all general medical staff meetings.
(6) Make medical staff committee appointments jointly with the medical directors and chief of staff-elect in consultation with the chief executive officer of the Ohio state university hospitals and with the approval of the Wexner medical center board, with the exception of the members of the medical staff administrative committee and nominating committee.
(7) Be spokesperson for the medical staff in its external professional and public relations.
(8) Serve as chairperson of the nominating committee of the medical staff.
(9) Hold meetings of the elected medical staff officers, representatives from medical staff committees, the chief executive officer, the chief nursing officer and medical directors.
(B) Chief of staff-elect.
The chief of staff-elect shall:
(1) Serve on those committees of the Ohio state Wexner medical center board as appointed by the chairperson of the Wexner medical center board.
(2) Carry out all the duties of the chief of staff when the chief of staff is unable to do so.
(3) Oversee the inclusion of changes in the bylaws, rules and regulations of the medical staff.
(C) Representatives of the medical staff elected at-large.
There shall be three medical staff representatives elected at-large. Each representative shall be a member of the medical staff administrative committee and shall serve on those committees of the Ohio state Wexner medical center board as appointed by the chairperson of the Wexner medical center board.
(D) Qualifications of officers.
(1) Officers must be members of the attending staff at the time of their nomination and election and must remain members in good standing during the term of their office. Failure to maintain such status shall immediately create a vacancy in the office involved.
(2) The medical director, associate medical directors, assistant medical directors and chiefs of the clinical departments shall not be eligible to serve as chief of staff or chief of staff-elect unless they are replaced in their Ohio state university hospitals administrative role during the period of their term of office.
(E) Election of officers.
(1) All officers (other than at-large officers) shall be elected by a majority of those voting by written or electronic ballot of the attending staff.
(2) The nominating committee shall be composed of five members. The chief of staff shall serve on the committee and shall select four other members for the committee. The chief of staff shall be its chairperson.
(3) Nominations for officers shall be accepted from any member of the medical staff and shall be submitted either electronically or in writing to the nominating committee.
(4) The committee's nominees shall be submitted to all voting members of the attending staff no later than May first of the election year.
(5) Candidates for the office of chief of staff-elect shall be listed and each attending staff member shall be entitled to cast one vote. Candidates for the at-large positions shall be voted upon as a group. Each voting member of the attending staff shall be entitled to vote for three at-large candidates. The three candidates with the highest number of votes shall be elected. A majority of the votes shall not be necessary.
(6) Automatic removal shall be for failure to meet those responsibilities assigned within these bylaws, failure to comply with medical staff rules and regulations, policies and procedures of the medical staff, for conduct or statements that damage the reputation of the Ohio state medical center, its goals and missions, or programs, or an automatic termination or suspension of clinical privileges that lasts more than thirty days.
(F) Term of office.
(1) The chief of staff and chief of staff-elect shall each serve two years in office beginning on July first. The chief of staff-elect shall be elected in the odd numbered years. A former chief of staff may not succeed the immediately preceding chief of staff-elect.
(2) The at-large representatives shall each serve two years, beginning July first. The at-large representatives may succeed themselves for three successive terms (six years total), if so elected. Upon completion of the three successive terms, the representative may not serve again without a period of two years out of office as an at-large representative. The representative may be elected chief of staff-elect at any time.
(G) Vacancies in office.
(1) A vacancy in the office of chief of staff shall be filled by the chief of staff-elect. If the unexpired term is one year or less, the new chief of staff shall serve out the remaining term in office and shall then serve as chief of staff for the term for which elected. If the unexpired term is more than one year, the new chief of staff shall serve out the remaining term only.
(2) Vacancies in the office of chief of staff-elect shall be filled by a special election held within sixty days of the vacancy by the nominating and election process set forth in paragraph (F) of this rule. The new chief of staff-elect shall become chief of staff at the end of the term of the incumbent.
(3) Vacancies in the at-large representatives medical staff positions shall be filled by appointment by the chief of staff.
(Board approval dates: 6/7/2002, 3/5/2003, 5/30/2003, 11/4/2005, 2/2/2007, 9/19/2008, 9/18/2009, 4/8/2011, 8/31/2012, 11/7/2014, 9/2/2016, 4/6/2018)