Board of Trustees
3335-5-48.9 Committee on academic freedom and responsibility.
The committee on academic freedom and responsibility shall consist of eight members during autumn and spring semesters and ten members from May to the beginning of autumn semester.
(1) Six tenure-track faculty and one non-tenure-track faculty, at least four of whom are members of the senate or members-elect at the time of their selection by the faculty council. The term of service begins in the summer term following election and extends through the summer term following the third year of service.
(2) One graduate teaching, research, or administrative associate.
(B) Duties and responsibilities.
(1) Study all conditions which may affect the academic freedom or responsibility of the faculty of the university, including, but not limited to:
(a) the review of proposed changes in Chapter 3335-6 of the Administrative Code Rules of the University Faculty Concerning Faculty Appointment, Reappointments, Promotion and Tenure; and
(b) such changes in the Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures Volume 3 Promotion and Tenure as may impinge upon academic freedom, responsibility, or tenure. If the committee finds that any such condition or proposed change adversely affects academic freedom, responsibility, or tenure, it shall report that finding promptly to the senate for its review.
(2) Hear and investigate complaints by individual faculty members concerning alleged infringements upon academic freedom or responsibility in the university; report findings and recommendations to the parties involved with the hope of mediating a dispute and report to the senate if further action by the senate is appropriate.
(3) Hear and investigate complaints by individual faculty members concerning alleged improper evaluation under the procedures of rule 3335-5-05 of the Administrative Code.
(1) A quorum consists of four members.
(2) As a standing committee of the senate, this committee is also governed by the provisions of rules 3335-5-46 and 3335-5-48 of the Administrative Code.
(3) Graduate Student member is recused in cases pertaining to Promotion and Tenure of faculty members.
(Board approval dates: 5/1/1986, 2/5/1988, 2/4/1993, 11/4/1994, 5/3/1996, 7/11/1997, 6/4/2004, 6/7/2005, 6/22/2012, 6/6/2014)